Tupelo Military Institute
Established in 1913 by George W. Chapman and a group of local Tupelo citizens, Tupelo Military Institute (popularly known as "TMI") provided a classical education for young men. It closed in 1937 following the terrible tornado of April, 1936 and the ravages of the economic depression of the 1930s.
This book, entitled Tupelo Military Institute: A Forgotten Chapter In Our History, recounts the story of the development of TMI, its glory years, and the struggle to keep it alive. It tells the story of an outstanding educator who left the familiar surroundings of eastern Kentucky to establish a school for boys in unfamiliar northeast Mississippi. Dr. Chapman soon became a recognized leader in educational circles across the MidSouth. TMI was known for its outstanding athletic teams, sending athletes to colleges and to the professional baseball leagues.
The book is more than two hundred pages in length. It contains more than one hundred pictures of the Chapman family, cadets in dress uniform, athletic teams, and extra-curricula activities. It contains the names of many of the cadets, faculty members, and trustees. One of the interesting stories in the book tells about TMI's attempt to create a junior college in Tupelo.
The cost of the book is thirty five dollars ($35.00). It is available at the Gum Tree Book Store, the Gift Shop at the Lee County Library, and by mail from the Society (Mailing address: NEMH&GS, Box 434, Tupelo, MS 38802). Shipping and handling costs for mailing is an additional $5.00.