Saturday, September 03, 2005

Thoughts on Katrina

We are watching history in the making as we see the terrible destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina not only in Mississippi, but also in Louisiana and Alabama. Maps will be redrawn. Communities such as Waveland, Mississippi have suffered so much destruction that they are in essence obliterated. I've watched video clips at WLBT and WLOX in addition to the coverage by all the national networks. It's just so overwhelming. The economies of Southern Mississippi and New Orleans have been ravaged. We're now hearing estimates on the networks of 25% unemployment rates for the affected areas, but when I view the destruction, I can't help but wonder how it cannot be higher. I believe we saw a turning point today as they were able to finally coordinate efforts to really get people out of New Orleans. I know that part of the problem was that there was so little fuel available for the tractor trailers and buses that were bringing relief. I heard today that one of the pipelines that had been closed is now back up to full capacity. That should be good news.

I've not been able to do much blogging because I've just been so overwhelmed. I've finally heard from all my cousins in the affected regions, and all are safe. Today I looked through some of my history books that dealt with the coastal counties. Some of the places in those books are no longer existing. I was very grateful to see on one of WLOX's videos that some of those gorgeous Pass Christian homes are still standing. The shots were not close-up, but I'm hoping that many of them can be spared. My heart aches for those who have lost homes, family, jobs, etc. by this hurricane. As I was looking at Philip D. Hearn's Hurricane Camille: Monster Storm of the Gulf, I couldn't help but wonder what they would subtitle books on Hurricane Katrina. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people displaced by Katrina.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home